Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Class On Job

Chris and I have not had the chance to be in an adult Bible class together in a while. In my humble opinion every couple needs to make sure they do that regularly. Chris and I try to have at least 1 class together a quarter but the last couple of quarters it just has not worked out.

Anyway, we are now in a Sunday morning class about Job. I have some mixed feelings on Job. I took a class on this book of the Bible in college and I have been to other classes about it.... Anyway, Chris and I are really excited about being in this class together.

This week we talked about what a good man Job was. I knew he was good, but I don't think I ever realized how good he was. When his troubles started he was probably around 70 years old, had 10 grown kids, and was the manager of lots of land.

Job 1:1, 8
God describes Job as blameless, upright, fearing God, and shunning evil.

Job 4:3-4
Job helped those who were in trouble.

Job 29:11-17
  • He gave good advice
  • He helped the poor
  • He helped the orphans
  • He helped widows
  • He clothed himself with righteousness
  • He was just
  • He helped the blind
  • He helped the lame
Job 30:25
Job was compassionate.

Job 31
  • He did not covet
  • He did not look at other women
  • He was not deceitful
  • He did not commit adultery
  • He treated his servants like humans, not possessions
  • He did not trust in or worship riches
  • He did not wish evil upon his enemies
  • He confessed his sins
  • He was a good steward of his land
  • He repaid his debts

Sometimes I feel like I couldn't establish that kind of reputation with even one of these characteristics, with 2 children and yet Job did it with much more on his plate than me.

Do you think you could ever be described with all of these good qualities? I don't think I could.

I think we all have LOTS to do! How about you?

1 comment:

JoniDH said...

I have LOTS to do, too!

The book of Job has SO many lessons - it can change hearts and lives!