Thursday, September 10, 2009

Book Update

I was talking to my Aunt yesterday and it dawned on me that I have not told you about a couple of books I have read.

5 girls within the congregation that I worship with get together every week for "coffee" (or for me, it is diet coke) and a Bible study. I have only been a part of the group for a short amount of time but it has been so wonderful.

The first book I studied with them was A Woman's Pilgrimage of Faith by Shelia Cragg. This book is about suffering. I loved reading it but I felt a little out of my element with it. Reading it made me realize how little I have suffered in my life. This book helped me to thank God for my "small" struggles in life and it also gave me some insight as to how to help someone else during their suffering. One of my favorite things about this book were the prayers she wrote out for us to pray. They were powerful and full full full of scripture.

We are now reading Celebration of Discipline by Richard J Foster. This book is great. It talks about the inward disciplines of Meditation, Prayer, Fasting and Study; the outward disciplines of Simplicity, Solitude, Submission, and Service; and the corporate disciplines of Confession, Worship, Guidance, and Celebration. I am very very excited about this. We have completed the chapter on Meditation and are now on Prayer. I will let you know how it goes.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

cebration of discipline sounds really good....